Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
Title Bound Pamphlet collection
Dates 1743-1900
Author Woburn Public Library
Extent 4.25 linear feet (22 volumes)
Arrangement Organized by volume.
Collection number PEC-21
Admin/Biographical History The first public library in Woburn, Massachusetts was founded in 1856 when Charles Bowers Winn, the town's delegate to the State Constitutional Convention, donated his salary of $300 to develop a free circulating library. The library was located at the old town hall, moving to a new location at the Wade Block in 1865. The present library building, designed by Henry Hobson Richardson, was opened in 1879. The first librarians at the current location were George M. Champney (1879-1882), William R. Cutter (1882-1909) and George H. Evans (1909-1917).
Scope & Content Collection consists of 592 pamphlets, dating from 1743 through 1900, bound into 22 volumes. Most volumes were compiled by William R. Cutter and other early Woburn librarians with the exception of several volumes (P499-P504) compiled by a donor, J.A. Bent. Collection includes Congressional speeches, other speeches and general pamphlets on the subjects of slavery and emancipation, Massachusetts politics and government, genealogy, Lexington, MA, Woburn, MA and the United States Department of the Interior.
Source Collected by the library and donated by numerous individuals over time.
Cite as Woburn Public Library Bound Pamphlet Collection,
Woburn Public Library, Dr. Thomas J. Glennon Archives, Woburn, MA 01801.
Indexes Online Finding Aid
Subjects Congress & presidents
Emancipation
Genealogy
Local history
Politics & government
Slavery
Local Subjects
Access Access may be limited. Contact library for details.