Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
Title Towanda Club collection
Dates 1897-1924
Author Woburn Public Library
Extent .209 linear feet (6 folders)
Arrangement Organized topically.
Collection number AS-3
Admin/Biographical History The first meeting to consider forming the Towanda Club was held on March 7, 1894. Rooms were taken in the Holton Block on the corner of Main Street and Mann Court. The club was organized as a bicycle club and the name Towanda was adopted on April 2, 1894. Women were initially admitted as associate members but this membership was discontinued after two years. In October, 1896, the club moved to new quarters at 359 Main Street, opposite the Common. Incorporated in July, 1897 the Towanda Club moved to its present quarters at 19 Abbott Street on March 9, 1901. In the early 20th century the club presented theatrical and minstrel programs. Bowling was offered through its membership in the Mystic Valley Bowling League. Still active today, the Towanda Club offers members a Thursday Night Bowling League.
Scope & Content A topical collection consisting of theatrical programs, postcards, invitations, membership cards, annual meeting notices, menus, bowling league material, news clippings and a scrapbook.
Source Collection assembled by library staff. Donors include Henry P. Harrington and John C. Andrews.
Cite as Towanda Club Collection, Woburn Public Library, Dr. Thomas J. Glennon Archives, Woburn, MA 01801.
Indexes Online Finding Aid

Subjects Bowling leagues
Ephemera
Invitations
Membership cards
Menus
Newspaper clippings
Postcards
Scrapbooks
Theater programs
Local Subjects Towanda Club, Abbott Street #19
Access Access may be limited. Contact library for details.